9.09.2013

Two Ingredient Banana Pancakes

Tonight I tried Brussels sprouts for the first time since my early teens... and liked them. I am now quite convinced that my mother just did something terrible to them (but don't tell her I said that). I've now successfully written off sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts from my very short list of Foods I Loathe. Yay!  Coconut is still a work in progress... I will now consider it tolerable, though likely never desirable. It's amazing how essential coconut is to Paleo living! I go through coconut oil like no one's business. It's useful for cooking, baking, coffee and moisturizer, just to name a few. 
Coconut oil coffee has become a favorite of mine. Fortunately, it tastes not-at-all coconutty when blended into a cup of coffee. Think I'm crazy? I swear it's a thing! The benefits of coconut oil coffee are many. Coconut oil is essentially pure fat, so a tablespoon is a great morning boost of fuel, not just the caffeine fuel, but pure ketogenic energy. Are you into intermittent fasting? Some IF proponents believe that consuming small amounts of fats while fasting helps maintain energy and reduce the mid-fast brain fog without pulling one out of fasted state since there are no proteins or carbs for the body to process. Coconut oil is also high in MCTs, which are... good for you. Google it, don't just believe me.  
Anyway, 1-2 tablespoons in a cup of coffee lends a flavor very similar to cream in your coffee. The key is to blend it. Otherwise, you risk an oil slick on the surface of your coffee, a less than pleasant texture. Eiw. If you want to give it a try, go easy on the coconut oil to start, it can really mess with your digestion. I've worked my way up to about 1.5 tablespoons in my morning brew. 
Mmm, all this is making me think about breakfast. Now I want pancakes. Maybe I'll have pancakes tomorrow! No, it's not cheating, shush. At least the pancakes I'm likely to make aren't. Ready for this? They have TWO ingredients. I hope you like bananas...

Two Ingredient Banana Pancakes

2 eggs
1 ripe banana

Mash the banana in a bowl thoroughly, crack eggs into the bowl and mix well. Alternative option is to put the ingredients in a blender. I've found this leads to a much smoother consistency and thinner pancake. Optional additions: vanilla, cinnamon, chocolate chips...
Warm cooking oil of choice (here's the perfect spot for some coconut oil!) in a skillet over medium heat. Add small dollops of batter to make medallion size pancakes. When edges turn brown and crisp, they are ready to flip. 
Top with almond butter, fruit or real maple syrup if you want it extra sweet!

 

The less pretty ones are an example of what happens if you attempt to make crepe size cakes...
They were delicious anyway! See?  Mmm, almond butter and puréed strawberries. 




Happy eats!


No comments:

Post a Comment