10.14.2013

Slow cooker chocolate chili

Man, it's been a long day... Week... Month... Whatever. Preparing tasty food energizes me. There are lots of things that I'd never cooked before 6 months ago. Chili was one of those things. It always just seemed so scary and complicated. Not to mention I loathe cutting onions. Like, really. Eventually, I realized that onions are a necessary (delicious) evil. I'd still rather not cut them and am pretty good at wheedling someone else to do it for me (hint: bribe 'em with chocolate), but it has opened many doors for food. Like chili. 
I started researching chili and discovered, it's really not so hard. Meat, tomatoes, onions and spices and cook forever! Still, making really good chili is less easy. My first attempt was meh...this time... I think I fixed all the issues. Now, I didn't want the regular, most common chili flavor and I found a lot of recipes for chocolate chili in my searches. Needless to say, I was intrigued. Chocolate AND chili? Yes please. 
Wanna see what I came up with?


Bam. Bowl of delicious. Oh, and it's Paleo. 

Slow Cooker Chocolate Chili

1 large vidalia onion, diced
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 pounds ground beef
1 teaspoon oregano
1-2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
Optional: 1-2 tablespoons chili flakes for some BURN
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon salt
1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add ground beef, crumbling and stirring into the pan to brown.
Drain some of the fat from the ground beef and add contents of pan into your crock pot, then toss in your diced onions, garlic and spices, mixing well.
Add canned tomatoes.  Stir well and turn crock pot on low.  Let sit covered for 8-9 hours.  Perfect to leave for the work day!


No comments:

Post a Comment