11.08.2013

Whole30 update and roasted sweet potatoes

Today was a rough day. A culmination of an long emotional week, car trouble and cravings (not helped by my office's weekly "share" day involving cookies, cheesecake, and a giant peanut butter ball) led to some serious depression that I desperately kept trying to turn into anger. Anger is preferable to sadness. 
It was fortunate for me that all those treats were loaded with dairy or I might have given in and gorged my feelings. I made it through the day without breaking down into tears or exploding at anyone (though I spent a lot of time fantasizing about how I'd respond the first person who said something I didn't like), made a quick stop at the grocery store and headed home to discover that my roommate had made tacos and left the meat completely plain so I could partake. Yay, instant food! I threw together a simple taco salad with beef, guac, compliant store bought salsa and greens. Still a bit hungry, I threw some sweet potato cubes in the oven for something sweet and creamy. Mmm. I may not have mentioned before, but I'm taking my Whole30 a step further and eliminating fruits for at least the first 21 days. I'm kinda combining the Whole30 and the 21 Day Sugar Detox together. Why? Because I'm crazy, probably. But really,  it's tough for me to beat sugar cravings, I feel like I'm likely to use fruit as a crutch to get through the process and then I'll just plain still have sugar cravings in the end. So, the few indulgences the 21DSD allows are sweet potatoes and green apples... In moderation. *deep breath* I can do this. In fact, less than half a sweet potato was enough to satisfy. Huzzah! Amazing what just a little cinnamon and salt can do, eh?

They're super easy to make!

Cinnamon roasted sweet potatoes

1 medium sweet potato
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Cinnamon
Sea salt

Preheat your oven to 375 and chop sweet potato into approximately 1" cubes. 
Toss with oil, cinnamon and salt.
Roast for 20-30 minutes until tender. 
Gobble them up like the delicious things they are. 

Plus side this week, I'm pretty food crazy. Like, excited about cooking ALL the things using whatever I've bought ahead of time. Including some "weirder" ingredients that I've never played with before. This week being beets and leeks. Beets aren't weird, I know, but I've never cooked with them before and I'm getting really into using EVERYTHING and reducing food waste (cus I'm poor, duh, and this crap's expensive). So I'm playing with beet greens and stems too. More on that later. :)
I've got some exciting food plans this weekend. I've got NO plans outside my house, so hopefully I'll have more tasty food things to share soon. 
I'm also keeping a detailed log of what I eat and how I feel on a day to day basis, as well as a list of my symptoms. I'm pumped to see how they change over the next few weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment