10.29.2013

Green Eggsalad

Today was a quickly thrown together lunch kinda day. I've been so focused on planning for next week, that I forgot I had to feed myself THIS week. I decided suddenly this morning that I wanted egg salad today. Who knows why, I sure don't. I was far too lazy to make mayo though. Pssh. Too much mess at 7 am. Have you ever made your own mayo? I love it. I hate mayo, but something about the fact that I made it, know exactly what's in it and can do whatever I want to make it delicious just improves it so much for me. I use the recipe by Melissa Joulwan at Clothes Make the Girl and use it as a base for most of my dipping sauces, including chipotle mayo (great with carrot fries) and dairy-free ranch (great with... Well, anything). 
What's a girl to do when she has no mayo and a mayo-filled craving to satisfy? ...enter Green Eggsalad!
No, the eggs aren't green, but a ripe avocado makes a great creamy substitute for mayo. 

Green Eggsalad

1/2 ripe avocado
2 hardboiled eggs, peeled
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste. 

Once you've boiled and cooled your eggs (I like to bring the eggs and water to a boil, leave it for 7-8 minutes and instantly dunk them in cold water till chilled), peel them, yell at them while they refuse to peel cleanly and set in a bowl. 
Add your half avocado in chunks and mash both together. Don't worry about getting the avocado super smooth. 
As your oil, lemon juice and s&p. Feel free to add any other spices or bits to make a new flavor combo: cayenne pepper or chopped olives, for example. 


Mmm, green eggs look appetizing, right? If you want, you can make "green eggs and ham" by serving in deli ham roll ups (or bacon!). I ate mine with raw bell pepper, cus I'm boring. But hey, craving satisfied!

No comments:

Post a Comment