10.31.2013

Slow Cooker Mocha Pot Roast

Mmm, pot roast. You're probably looking at the title, thinking I'm crazy, but I assure you, I am quite sane... Well, ok, I'm sorta sane... But I am right about this! I got inspiration for this from my chocolate chili. Then I googled it and was both bummed and justified to discover that I wasn't the first to think of it, there are recipes all over! I went ahead with it anyway and was not disappointed. Cocoa might be my new favorite seasoning for beef. It adds a ...something... that I can't quite describe to it, but it's a smooth sort of flavor. The coffee seemingly did the same. I'm definitely going to be making this again, possibly during my detox! Anyway, here's the deal:

Slow Cooker Mocha Pot Roast

2lb beef roast
2tbsp cocoa
2tsp paprika
1tsp cinnamon 
1tsp sea salt
1/2tsp cumin
1/2tsp ground ginger 
1/2tsp black pepper
1/4tsp cayenne
1 med onion
2 cups strong coffee

Mix spices together to create a rub. Pat roast dry and apply spices on all sides. 
Chop up onion in wedges and add to the bottom of the pot, pour coffee over. 
Heat oil in a pan over medium high heat and sear sides of meat.

(Unless you have one of those large, oblong cookers, I don't recommend getting a huge, rectangle roast like I did. It barely fit in the damn pot and some bits were dry in the end)

Settle roast on top of onions and coffee and set slow cooker to low. Leave for 8 hours or until internal temperature is between 145-170. 

 

Goes very well with simple roasted butternut squash! Happy eats!


No comments:

Post a Comment